Popular Posts

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Spice Up My Kitchen or Made For Each Other

For many years I have admired the lovely canisters Victorians used to keep spices, tea ,coffee, sugar, salt  etc. on their kitchen cabinets, making these frequently used ingredients readily accessible and also providing a delightful treat to the eye. They come in a numerous number  of canisters,along with salt and pepper shakers all lined up in order and decorated in various Victorian themes, usually floral. Their base color was generally of  an opalescent  glow. These, as are many of the Victorian items that I enjoy so much, seemed a bit cost prohibitive for me, usually well over $100.
While visiting folks at home I found 2 examples for a bargain and decided I could have at least these to enjoy. Later at the Salvation Army I eyed blue and white canisters of a similar genre ...well they really weren't similar to my first two canisters at all, but I  concluded that probably I could display them in a different area of my kitchen. At $30 I still  was reluctant to purchase them so I played the waiting game and prayed no one else would fancy them. Patience is a virtue and this time it paid off. The canisters eventually were greatly reduced and I carried them home for a song. Granted,they had a few chips and a crack or two,but I could envision  them contributing to my kitchen's Victorian ambiance.(besides at the rock bottom prices I usually pay, I never let scratches and cracks deter me.)
To my delight when I placed the two designs of canisters together, they really complimented each other! Hurray for serendipity!
note the lovely opalescent background,these canister sets are usually several in number
I saw one of these for over $100 in Old Town Orange

No comments: