Popular Posts

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Bed Canopies for the Smallest Budget

There is nothing like a canopy to add that finishing touch to a bedroom.It speaks to the grandeur and romance of days gone by . Though now they are purely decorative originally canopies  served to keep the sleeping victorian  from freezing to death since central heating had not yet made the scene. Though I didn't really care for the ones topped with huge ostrich plumage,such as I saw in the Palace of Versailles ,I do have a fondness for the more demure canopies that are in vogue today.
There are many things that could serve as a "crown" from which the actual canopy flows.My particular fondness is for shelves that are semi lunar with ornate aprons.
For the actual canopy itself,I would choose any decorative fabric. Included in my choices has been  a brocade tablecloth,a lace curtain and an Indian sari. Saris can be found often in thrift stores and are usually very beautiful.One of mine had roses embroidered all along the edge and another had pearls all long the edge.Since saris are narrow you would have to use another panel with it,sewing the sari on each side of the panel.
I take the canopy material and gather it along the under side of the shelf so that the 2 edges meet in the front,creating an opening.I use a hot glue gun for this procedure.
Then I proceed to hang the shelf above the bed.It would be hung upside down allowing the canopy to flow behind the headboard and drawing the 2 sides of the canopy to each side of the headboard..My canopies surely won't keep the cold out but  they sure do look nice. 
this particular shelf was hung upright ,the pediment from another shelf was added

This is a wire shefl with metal painted roses decorating it.

No comments: