Popular Posts

Monday, August 29, 2011

Kitchen Chairs on the Cheap

In the early 80's my heart's desire was to own a set of those oak pressed back chairs reproduced from the turn of the century. They were selling anywhere from $75 to $125..too much for my pocket. I happened upon this great deal at a freight warehouse for $21 each. All we had to do is simply glue them together..well all my husband had to do was glue them together. This he did and to perfection as he always does. I really enjoyed those chairs for many years,maybe 20 altogether but they were beginning to wear on me and I was tired of them... I kept this in mind as I journeyed through my wonderland of thrift stores and junque shops.
My foray was productive ,as I soon found 4 carved back chairs from the 30's at Out Of The Closet. Then later I found 2 more very similar at GoodWill for $8. The Out of The Closet price tag was $80...so for $88 I had a set of chairs. However they needed work. They had been stained a mahogany red with varnish that had worn off along with the red stain for the most part,leaving a rather nondescript wood underneath.
This is one of the times I chose to use paint for refinishing. I chose an antique colonial red that would add a punch of color to my kitchen . The seats were removable so I was able to staple a $2.45 piece of upholstery fabric from The Salvation Army to them to complete the job.
So for $90 I have 6 fashionable vintage chairs gracing my kitchen table probably for another 20 or so years.

No comments: