Popular Posts

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

At last My Own Mother of Pearl Inlaid Table

granted it is a little rough around the edges but that just addds character to the piece
While traveling through museums and perusing decorating magazines, I became enamored with mother of pearl inlaid furniture, something I probably would never find in a thrift store or that would fit my budget.
 One day behold! there it was. Not quite a piece of furniture but a tray of sorts with edges that had obviously had been chewed by someone"s voracious puppy(been there done that).Thinking perhaps I could at least fix it up and use it for a wall hanging I asked  the thrift store attendant what it's price was. This was one of those stores with no prices on anything. I usually have an aversion to them but this time I braved it. The reply was $3.00.
The chewed edges lent themselves easily to being smoothed out with plastic wood that I sanded smooth after it thoroughly dried. I stained the repair walnut to match the rest of the wood and sealed it with clear nail polish to match the lacquer finish of the rest of the tray.
Before hanging it on my wall I discovered an ornate brass table less it's top  that I had bought a long time ago. The "tray" rested nicely on it and I now had my mother of pearl inlaid table!
I had shown it to my Korean friend and she informed me that my tray was an Asian tea table and that she didn't really like it at all. What is the matter with that girl's taste! To me it is the epitome of pure luxury! By the way she is still my friend.

No comments: