Popular Posts

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

M-m-m-m Majolica

Majolica in the form I appreciate is of purely Victorian origin. It developed as a more economical form of decorative table ware than the current expensive porcelain or china. Being enraptured by things of nature the Majolica theme was usually of just that,. nature. Some of the most ugly ones are also now the most expensive. Platters,compotes, etc. were mounded with bugs,snakes,frogs and and a plethora of creepy things. Even if I found one of those pieces,I would hesitate to buy it.
The colors of this pottery on the other hand are vivid and very appealing from deep cobalt blues to ethereal teal blues and turquoise.This is due to the tin glaze used in firing.
A true victorian lady and a treasure box plus a majolica lea?shell? as a backdrop
displayed on my cupboards
don't think vase with handles on right is majolica,let me know if you know it's origin
more top'o'cupboard display note lemon and pineapple pitchers
one of my favorites
basket with mushroom on top casserole
This is bottom of jardinare that I use as a vase, my most expensive at $45
As the clay is in the potter's hand ,so are ye in mine hand.Jer.18:6b
Many are not marked but also many are marked made in Italy,Portugal and also England. Minton was the one well known manufacturer although many others followed suit.The most desirable mark is George Jones in case you should happen upon one such.All of  these pictured, though more valuable, were purchased for miniscule amounts...only two were purchased in an antique shop.

No comments: