Popular Posts

Friday, September 30, 2011

My Blue Plumbago

My one blue plumbago I am allowing to grow as it will. It is really lovely
you can see how it's growth chokes out my roses,hardly a dramatic display
well you can almost see this rose and the blue color isn't quite what I was looking for . It needs to be a little deeper blue.
Every Victorian had a special place reserved in their heart for flowers. In fact many times when one thinks Victorian,  flowers especially roses pop into your mind.
On a trip back to my former home in upstate N.Y. I saw the most fabulous display of plumbago neatly trimmed in a rounded cone shape and profusely blooming brilliant blue flowers. Between each plumbago bush was growing an equally beautiful magenta colored rose bush. The blue just made the roses pop. I t was a feast for the eyes.
I have made an attempt to produce that in my own garden. I've been waiting and waiting for this display to produce itself but ...not so easy. The plumbago doesn't seem to bloom in the cycle that the roses bloom and at first grew very slowly and then shazam! they were sprawling all over the place...not only that,  those little blue devils were crowding out my roses.

my meager attempt at pruning, oh well maybe I. can shape them as they grow
maybe I should have chosen these magenta lantana instead  of roses. They sure wouldn't let those bully plumbago get the best of them. 
Today I made an effort to trim my plumbago back to a more orderly appearance  though not in a perfect rounded cone shape.Alas now all the blue flowers are gone. I guess every gardener will interject here that you need extreme patience in gardening. In the meantime I'll enjoy the one plumbago that I am allowing to grow as it will.

No comments: