Popular Posts

Thursday, September 1, 2011

A Touch of French, Unbelievable Thrift store Find

finished product


this will give you an idea of what I had to deal with
One of my Victorian fantasies was to have a settee and matching chair. I had run across many but either didn't have the extra money or the set wasn't quite to my taste,more the former than the latter. I had just recently seen one that was in a bad state of disrepair and was sorely tempted to fall victim to it's not readily evident charms...thankfully,  I exercised superhuman strength and turned my back on it's beckoning calls.
One day as I pulled into Goodwill,stashed outside the back door  waiting to be tagged was a beautiful settee with it's equally beautiful matching chair.Granted it was all silver including the vinyl upholstery,which I might add was quite worn, but such a simple flaw,garish though it was couldn't deter me.
I haled the attendant that was about to move it into the sorting room and asked what would be the price of the pair. He graciously disappeared into the store returning with the manager,who declared it would be $28.00 because one of the legs on the sofa was split.At the price of $28.00 I wasn't about to let a split leg or gaudy vinyl upholstery or silver paint deprive me of  one of the pure delights of my thrift store experience.
Upon receiving my new found treasure,I debated exactly HOW could I make this thing presentable.
I really didn't want to strip the wood on it and  painting it,with all it's carved detail seemed like quite a chore. Then it dawned on me that if I dry brush a  teal colored paint over it enough to let the silver come through a little and then antiquing it , it would have a time worn patina which I love so much.
The cracked leg was not severe and a little glue corrected it.
Now ,what to do with the silver vinyl upholstery.This called for another trip to Off The Bolt drapery and upholstery shop for more $.97  bargains. I found the perfect material that gave an appearance of old worn linen with a faded design that sported a very slight hint of teal.
Home I rushed in a fever and with staple gun in hand ,I covered that vinyl up and made slipcovers for the pillows and whoopee! I have my settee and Chair for little more than $30.00...I might add that I've seen similar sets advertised for well over $1000.Thank you Lord. I really believe the Lord provides all these fortunate finds for me.

No comments: